There is nothing quite like living the life of a USA trucker. The freedom that the open road gives you can be quite liberating and if you work for the right company, it can really make a difference in your life. That being said, there are also some considerations for truckers that can really make a difference in how they handle their job on a day to day basis. Here are 7 of those tips for you to keep in mind.
1. Make Friends with the Dispatcher – One of the most important things you can do is to get in tight with the dispatcher. WHen they feel like they know you on a personal basis, things will go much more smoothly for you.
2. Don’t say no – When you are offered a load, be sure that you take it. Some of them are obviously not going to be right for you and you might even consider them to be a pain, but taking them now typically means you will have a choice later when it comes to the good loads.
3. Eat well – Don’t get caught in the trap of eating at fast food restaurants every meal. Make your own food when you are on the road. It is a healthier and cheaper choice.
4. Know the company – Most truckers will keep their mind on the trucking department but there is so much more to many companies. When you explore the company, it introduces you to their values and many good things could come your way.
5. Be safe – There is an old expression that it is better to be safe than sorry. This is quite true when it comes to being a USA trucker.
6. Build Experience – As you continue with your trucking career, be sure you are getting all of the experience you need. This is going to be the key to taking your trucking job to the next level. It will even make a difference in how much you earn.
7. Consider your insurance – There are times when insurance may be provided by the company but, if necessary, get your own insurance as well. Don’t simply take the first choice that comes your way. Talk about the options and look at the prices. There is sure to be an option for trucking insurance that is going to be right for your needs.